For a lot of people, water bottles are important, and choosing the right one can make a whole lot of difference.
On a hot or a cold day, especially on days when you’re most active, a bottle of water can literally be a life saver.
But with so many brands on the market today, selecting your ideal water bottle can be a little challenging, especially when you’re trying to avoid anything made of plastic.
I recently faced this dilemma. I wanted a reliable water bottle which was not plastic that could store both cold and hot water for an extended period of time. And I found one which I quickly fell in love with:
The Glacier Point vacuum insulated stainless steel water bottle.
The Criteria I Look For in a Water Bottle
As I am always on the go, a water bottle is an essential thing to have in my backpack. I used to have plastic water bottles which I would take with me to work or when I go travelling.
However, ever since I made the switch from using plastic water bottles to glass and stainless steel water bottles only, I realised that I needed a new non-plastic water bottle that not only can store water but also makes sure that my drinks will remain cold, warm, or hot when needed.
When choosing the right water bottle to suit my lifestyle, I needed to consider 4 important things:
- Storage capacity
Colour also kinda matters, too…
Based on these criteria, eventually I decided that the Glacier Point vacuum insulated stainless steel water bottle is the one for me.
Introducing the Glacier Point Vacuum Insulated Stainless Steel Water Bottle
I had never heard of the Glacier Point brand before until I actually bought one of their bottles.
Interestingly, Glacier Point is one of the top rated brands out there that offers stainless steel bottles in various sizes.
In this review, I’ll talk about the water bottle I bought from them late last year.
The Glacier Point vacuum insulated stainless steel water bottle comes in two sizes:
- 17 oz
- 25 oz
It comes in a few different colours:
- Classic stainless steel
I picked the latter, and I’m glad I did. It looks great!
What I find special about this particular stainless steel water bottle is its double-wall vacuum insulation. Now, what does that mean?
It means that:
- Liquid can be stored at a certain temperature for an extended period of time, which makes it a wonderful water bottle to have in your office or in the outdoors.
I did an experiment with my new Glacier Point bottle.
Here’s what I learned:
- In cold temperatures, my hot drinks can stay hot for up to 6 hours, whereas in summer (or in a tropical climate), my hot drinks can stay hot for up to 12 hours.
- My cold drinks can stay cold in this water bottle for up to 24 hours, provided that the weather is cold.
- But when the weather gets hot, I noticed that my cold drinks can only last for 12 hours. That’s still not bad.
In order to make my drinks stay cold longer in hot temperatures or stay hot a little longer in cold temperatures, I keep my water bottle in an insulated water bottle pouch I got from Quechua.
Due to its double-wall construction, the Glacier Point vacuum insulated stainless steel water bottle doesn’t ‘sweat’.
What this means:
- No condensation will happen, hence your water bottle will always stay dry.
The water bottle is made from premium 18/8 stainless steel.
- Not only is this double-wall vacuum water bottle durable, but it is also 100% BPA free.
- There won’t be any odour or unwanted taste.
A few people have reported odours and odd tastes coming from their Glacier Point water bottles, though. But not me.
Medium Mouth Opening
Another great feature that this bottle has is its medium mouth opening, which doesn’t just make cleaning the bottle easier, but also enables you to put ice into the water bottle easily.
It fits most cup holders, too.
BONUS SPORTS CAP:
- This stainless steel water bottle also comes with an extra sports cap for an easy “Flip & Drink” experience.
- It comes with 2 straws. But if you don’t want to use any of the straws, that’s fine, too. Simply take your straw out and just use the cap.
I’ve never used the extra sports cap. Personally, I prefer to use the bottle’s stainless steel cap instead as it provides better insulation and is more sturdy.
I also think the stainless steel cap holder makes drinking and carrying the bottle easier when travelling.
Years of Worry-Free Use
After having it used for almost a year, I have to say that I am very pleased with my Glacier Point insulated stainless steel water bottle.
I’ve never had any problem with it. It never leaks. It has always kept my drinks cold and hot just as how I intended them to be. And it is sturdy and definitely reliable.
But accidents do happen…
I had dropped my water bottle on the floor twice, yet I did not see it dented thanks to its powdered coating which is both stylish and tough. The coating gives the water bottle extra protection from scratches and bumps.
However, after my Glacier Point bottle’s third fall, the bottom corner of the product got dented. It isn’t a big deal, though, and the dent is pretty small.
The water bottle comes with a lifetime warranty. Just make sure you don’t use it to boil water. This can potentially affect the bottle’s insulation properties, or worse, cause it to break or even burst!
How Much Did I Pay for the Glacier Point Vacuum Insulated Stainless Steel Water Bottle?
I paid a total of NZD $41.08 / USD $27.25 back in November 2017.
Here’s the breakdown:
- Price of the bottle (without shipping): NZD $28.60 / USD $18.97.
- I had mine shipped to New Zealand, thus the shipping cost was NZD $12.48.
- Size and capacity: 25 oz / 750 ml
- Material: Stainless steel
- Warranty: Lifetime
- Colour: Blue, red, purple, white, grey and classic stainless
- Good value for a quality product.
- It keeps drinks cold for up to 24 hours and hot for up to 12 hours.
- It is BPA free.
- It’s got a medium mouth opening for easy drinking, carrying and cleaning.
- It comes with a lifetime warranty and a bonus sports cap.
- It is leak proof.
- The 25 oz water bottle is the perfect size for everyday use.
- While drinking using the bonus sports cap, some air can get into the straw, which is pretty annoying.
- Bottle cap and sports lip spout are prone to breakage.
- Not the most long-lasting water bottle of its kind.
My rating: 4/5
Overall, I think this is a wonderful water bottle.
If used properly, this water bottle will last for a long time.
An ENTP who’s always thirsty for new adventures. Apart from music and writing, I’m also passionate about travel, art and entrepreneurship.